The widening of Morrisville Carpenter Road, a state-owned road, will make a significant impact in the flow of traffic in the Town of Morrisville and surrounding region. This road widening project has been needed for many years, but the Morrisville-Carpenter road widening project did not compete well with other area projects when scored for state funding prioritization and funding was not awarded. In 2015, the Town Council made a strategic decision to invest in the road design to help the project score higher. This effort was successful. Funding for construction of the road widening was awarded in October 2017. Construction is anticipated to begin in spring 2019 and complete in 2020. The Town has worked with residents, the business community and NCDOT to understand the needs and concerns about the widening. The final design (available late spring/summer 2018) will addresses these concerns, while keeping safety as the top priority.
Access to homes and businesses along Morrisville-Carpenter Road during construction will remain open, but may be limited during certain phases of construction. The Town has worked with NCDOT and its engineer to phase the construction so that the road will remain open to two-way travel, but there will be periods when lane closures will have to occur that may limit access. Any lane closures that do occur will only occur between 9am and 4pm, with two travel lanes (one in each direction) open during the morning and afternoon peak hours.
There will be a weekend road closure (from 8pm on Friday to 6am on Monday), between the railroad tracks and Town Hall Drive, near the completion of the project in order to allow the contractors to safely install a new median in the area. While the timing of this closure is unknown at this point, the Town will post notice of the road closure in advance using the Town’s website, email lists, social media and electronic message boards. During this closure, a detour will be posted advising traffic of alternate access.Click on image to enlargeProject Flyer
Major Project Milestones:
- Summer 2015 – Engineering/Design Funding approved for a widening project on Morrisville-Carpenter Road
- Summer 2016 – Right-of-way acquisition funding approved for Morrisville-Carpenter Road widening project
- Winter 2017 – Town receives LAPP funding for right-of-way acquisition and construction
- Spring 2018 – Right-of-way acquisition occurs
- Spring 2019 – Start of construction
- Summer 2020 – Road construction complete
- The Town is providing 30% of the total construction cost to make this project happen ($3 million). The current estimated cost of the project is $9 million for construction, and $2 million for design and right-of-way acquisition.
- Town coordinated with NCDOT to develop the project and gather public input – the project design is a reflection of that input from the community.
- The design improves safety by adding sidewalks, wide outside lanes with shared-lane arrow (“sharrow”) markings, and designated pedestrian crossing traffic signals.
- There will be two types of intersections along Morrisville Carpenter when the project is complete
o Full movement (an intersection where all movements in all directions are allowed)
• Mares Lane/Leafy Creek Drive
• Millet Drive/Gratiot Drive
• Orianna Drive/Old Savannah Drive
o Right in/Right out (an intersection where traffic can only turn right on to or off of a major street. OR an intersection where all left-turn and through movements are eliminated)
• Bergman Road
• Kudrow Lane
• Misty Grove Circle
- No additional traffic signals are possible at this time because the volume of traffic at intersections do not meet NCDOT requirements for a new traffic signal. Note: Morrisville-Carpenter Road is a state or NCDOT road, so NCDOT has to approve installation of any signal regardless of who funds it. Following completion of construction, the Town will continue to monitor the full-movement intersections to determine if a signal should go in, and work with NCDOT to get a signal installed at the appropriate time.
Past Community Outreach Events
- March 22, 2018 - Morrisville Transportation Fair, Fire Station #1, 200 Town Hall Drive, 4pm - 7:30pm
- March 27, 2018 - Town Council Pre-Meeting Event, Town Hall, 100 Town Hall Drive, 5pm - 6pm
- April 13, 2018 - Cedar Fork Community Center, 1050 B Town Hall Drive, 10am - 12:30 pm
- April 26, 2018 - Cedar Fork Community Center, 1050 B Town Hall Drive, 5:30pm - 7pm
- Public Input Session Information Flyer
- Access Management Information Board
- Benefits of Access Management Flyer
- NCDOT Traffic Noise Information Boards
- June 2017 Project Newsletter