The construction is making good progress at the MAFC site. The new pool is taking shape. In September 2019 you will begin to see pool deck tiles, pool locker room renovation work, electrical and HVAC work in main building as well as progress on the back side parking lot. Check out the picture slide show above to see how things have progressed since site work began.
Project Background Overview
In 2012, a parks & recreation improvements bond referendum was included on the ballot. The MAFC renovation was one of the projects illustrated as improvements that could be supported through that bond. Voters’ approval for the bond was 74%. Since that time, Council has considered options and considered two feasibility studies and pre-design concepts. In August 2017, Council selected a design concept & the project moved forward to full design. Design was completed in the summer of 2018, & bids were advertised. Based on bids received, construction costs will be approximately $7 million.
The renovation of MAFC will significantly upgrade & improve some amenities in the facility & create greater capacity for participation.
- Demolish the existing pools, basketball court, tennis courts and driveway.
- Year-round natatorium with a retractable roof - open-air use in the warmer months.
- New locker room building between the existing building and the natatorium.
- Two new pools - a 6-lane lap pool & a two-segment play pool with a beach style entry, play features, as well as a 3½’ deep recreation pool.
- Additional parking with relocated driveway.
- Weight room will be moved downstairs to allow for a larger workout area.
- Expanded group fitness studio.
- Two new tennis courts to replace the existing courts
Major Project Milestones:
- Fall 2012 – Bond referendum for parks and recreation improvements is placed on the ballot. It is approved by 74% of voters.
- Spring 2017 – Council selects an architecture firm for predesign concepts of a renovation.
- Fall 2017 – Full design begins for the renovation.
- Spring 2018 – Site plan review process begins.
- Fall 2018 - Design is complete and bids were received.
- November 16, 2018 (end of day) – Facility closed.
- Winter 2019 - Notice to Proceed issued; Demolition began.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. When will you be closing the facility?
A. The building closed for construction on Friday, November 16, 2018.
Q. How long will you be closed?
A. We are anticipating we will reopen in 2020.
Q. Will you still be offering fitness classes or swim lessons?
A. Yes! Visit the Morrisville Aquatics & Fitness Center Webpage for information about what programs we're offering, including pricing and locations during the closure! While some programs & offerings will continue at different locations, the remaining programming & services will be suspended during the facility closure due to a lack of appropriate space for more intense activities and equipment
Q. I'm a member of MAFC. When will you stop drafting my monthly membership?
A. The last membership draft was on October 14. If you have further questions about drafts please contact Kendal Smith 919-463-6901.
Q. What will happen with my membership while you are closed?
A. For those who are paid in full, we will be prorating the remaining portion left after closure. All refunds were processed by December 15, 2018.
Q. When was the facility original constructed?
A. The facility, constructed in 1988, & purchased by the Town in 1993, became its first recreation facility. The population since that time has grown from 1,200 in 1993 to an estimated 25,000 residents. Minor improvements have been made to the facility, but it remains largely unchanged in that time.
Sr. Capital Project Manager