Visit the Morrisville Aquatics & Fitness Center Webpage for information about what programs we're offering, including pricing and locations during the closure!
The renovation of the Morrisville Aquatics & Fitness Center (MAFC) will significantly upgrade and improve some amenities in the facility and create greater capacity for participation. The facility was constructed in 1988, and purchased by the Town in 1993 as its first recreation facility. While the population was estimated at 1,200 when the facility was purchased, it now serves an estimated 25,000 residents. Minor improvements have been made to the facility, but it remains largely unchanged in that time.
In 2012, a parks and recreation improvements bond referendum was included on the ballot. The MAFC renovation was one of the projects illustrated as improvements that could be supported through that bond. Voters’ approval for the bond was 74%. Since that time, Council has considered options and considered two feasibility studies and pre-design concepts. In August 2017, Council selected a design concept and the project moved forward to full design. Design was completed in the summer of 2018, and bids were advertised. Based on bids received, construction costs will be approximately $7 million. Morrisville Aquatics & Fitness Center closed on Friday, November 16. The facility will be closed for about a year and is scheduled to reopen in late 2019.
- Demolish the existing pools, basketball court, tennis courts and driveway.
- A new year-round natatorium will be constructed with a retractable roof to allow for open-air use in the warmer months.A new locker room building will be built between the existing building and the natatorium.
- Two new pools will be constructed.A 6-lane lap pool will replace the existing 4-lane pool.Additionally, a two-segment play pool will be constructed.It will include a beach style entry and play features, as well as a 3½’ deep recreation pool.
- Additional parking will be included in the project, as well as a relocated driveway intended to give users a safer entrance and exit from the facility.
- The existing locker rooms will be demolished, and the weight room will be moved downstairs to allow for a larger workout area.
- The group fitness studio will be expanded into the existing weight room.This will help with the overcrowding issue of the current studio.
- Two new tennis courts will be constructed to address the foundation issues that exist with the current courts.
While the renovation will interrupt service during construction, staff has identified the Historic Christian Church and Silverton pool as locations to offer some programming. Remaining programming and services will be suspended during the facility closure due to a lack of appropriate space for more intense activities and equipment
Information regarding available programs, pricing and locations will be on the website at www.townofmorrisville.org/parksandrec. Regular updates will also be provided via email to RecTrac users and through the Parks & Rec email distribution list on the website.
Major Project Milestones:
- Fall 2012 – Bond referendum for parks and recreation improvements is placed on the ballot. It is approved by 74% of voters.
- Spring 2017 – Council selects an architecture firm for predesign concepts of a renovation.
- Fall 2017 – Full design begins for the renovation.
- Spring 2018 – Site plan review process begins.
- Fall 2018 - Design is complete and bids were received.
- November 16, 2018 (end of day) – Facility closed.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. When will you be closing the facility?
A. The building closed for construction on Friday, November 16, 2018.
Q. How long will you be closed?
A. We are estimating the project to take about a year, so we are anticipating we will reopen late 2019.
Q. I'm a member of MAFC. When will you stop drafting my monthly membership?
A. The last membership draft was on October 14. We will not be drafting in November, but if you have further questions about drafts please contact Kendal Smith 919-463-6901.
Q. What will happen with my membership while you are closed?
A. For those who are paid in full, we will be prorating the remaining portion left after closure. All refunds should be processed no later than December 15.
Q. Will you still be offering fitness classes or swim lessons?