Important Updates:

Call the Community Information Line at 919-463-7065 or email with non-emergency questions about issues specific to the Town of Morrisville.  Visit here for information about Safer At Home Phase 2.

Visit here for the latest information about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

Road Maintenance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Road Maintenance in the Town

Public roads in Morrisville are maintained by two entities - the Town of Morrisville and the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). Most major thoroughfares in Morrisville are maintained by the NCDOT, including but not limited to: NC 54 / Chapel Hill Road, Cary Parkway, Morrisville-Carpenter Road, Morrisville Parkway, Aviation Parkway, Church Street, Davis Drive and Airport Boulevard.

Knowing the entity that maintains a particular street or road helps in knowing where and how to report maintenance issues. If you are not sure who owns a particular street or road, look for the color-coded tip on most street signs. These colored tips designate the ownership / maintenance of the street, as follows: Blue tip - Town, White tip - State and Yellow tip - Privately maintained.

Road Complaints

Town-Owned Streets

To report potholes, damage to your vehicle from a pothole, fallen storm grates, curb damage, dead animals, road debris, etc., on Town-owned streets, please utilize our Request Tracker tool - or simply call Public Works at 919-463-7070.


If you have similar complaints involving a state-owned road that is maintained by the NCDOT, please call the NCDOT's Customer Service Line at 1-877-DOT-4YOU (1-877-368-4968) or fill out the form on NCDOT's website for assistance.

In the best interest of safety for Morrisville citizens and for other motorists, the Town's Public Works Street Division crew often applies temporary cold patch repairs to damaged areas on many of the state-owned roads in Morrisville that are awaiting permanent repairs by the NCDOT. The Public Works Street Division does not, however, have either the budget capability or the directive to perform the extensive permanent repairs that are needed to adequately maintain state roads running through Morrisville.

Street Lights

To report street light problems, contact Duke Energy Progress.  Retrieve the number on the pole & complete online form, or Call 800-452-2777

Street Signs

Damaged or missing street signs for Town-owned streets are repaired or replaced by the Town's Public Works Department. Please contact Public Works at 919-463-7070.

Dead Animal / Debris on the Road

Should you spot a dead animal or a large piece of debris on a state-maintained road, please contact the NCDOT at 919-733-4768. If the animal or the debris is on a Town-maintained road (mostly within subdivisions), please contact the Town's Public Works Department at 919-463-7070.

Traffic Signals

The NCDOT has given the Town of Cary the authority to operate most traffic signals in Cary, Morrisville, and parts of Apex. If you see a traffic light malfunctioning or if you have a suggestion about the timing of signal light cycles, etc., please call Cary's Public Works and Utilities Department at 919-469-4090 during regular business hours or at 919-469-4012 after regular business hours. You can also contact NCDOT directly at 1-877-DOT-4YOU (1-877-368-4968) or fill out the form on NCDOT's website.

Powell Bill Funds

Each year, Morrisville gets a share of the gasoline taxes collected by the State of North Carolina. This allocation is calculated using the miles of road maintained by the Town and it is known as "State Street-Aid" or "Powell Bill" money.

Powell Bill money is programmed into the Town's annual budget, and its use is limited to maintaining, repairing, constructing, or widening Town-owned streets or for the planning, construction, and / or maintenance of bikeways or sidewalks along public streets and highways. This year, the Town also used Powell Bill funds for maintaining road rights-of-way, storm drains, sidewalks, crosswalks, and for snow removal. A Pavement Condition Report, which takes into account the condition of each Town-owned street and how it is being used, helps determine priorities for paving and repair.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer