What is the Citizen Police Academy?
The Citizen Police Academy is an eight-week program designed to give participants a working knowledge of the Morrisville Police Department. It is intended to increase transparency and enhance understanding between the community and the police. Through education and understanding this program provides:
- Knowledge of the philosophy, policies and guiding principles of law enforcement and the ethical conduct requirements governing police services in our community.
- Enhanced community knowledge and insight regarding the operations and services of the Morrisville Police Department.
- Information pertaining to the department’s approach to community policing.
- Understanding of the rigorous training and demanding instruction provided to police officers.
- More effective communication between the community and the police officers who serve them.
- Opportunities to increase community partnerships.
- Stronger, more resilient relationships between the department and the community.
What are the Academy Goals?Among the goals of the Citizen Police Academy is to help the residents of Morrisville to better understand how the police work in their community. It is hoped that all graduates of the Citizen Police Academy will get to know more about the men and women that are protecting their community and to receive feedback that aids the department as it strives to communicate most effectively with our citizenry.
Who can Attend?
Those attending must be at least 21 years old and will be drawn from a cross-section of the community. Applicants must live or work in the Town of Morrisville. Applicants will be subject to a background check and will be informed in writing or by phone as to whether they have been accepted, denied, or placed on a waiting list for a future class.
When will the Academy be Offered?
The Morrisville Police Department Citizen Academy will accommodate 15 community participants and will be held once per year.
The Citizens Police Academy is an 8-week course. Classroom instruction will take place once a week
during evening hours from 6 - 8 p.m.
When dates are established, we ask that potential applicants first review their calendars to ensure
they can commit to participating throughout the duration of the program. This is a highly sought-after program, so accepted participants will be dropped for any unexcused absence.
How Do I Apply for the Academy?
Please follow this link to fill out an application for the Morrisville Police Department's Citizens' Academy:
For additional information about the course offered, please follow this link:
To learn more about being a part of the Morrisville Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy, or enrollment in this class or future academies, contact Sergeant Jason Miller at 919-463-1650 or MorrisvilleCPA@townofmorrisville.org
Completed applications may be dropped off at the Morrisville Police Department or mailed to:
Morrisville Police Department
Attn: Sgt. J. Miller
100 Town Hall Drive
Morrisville, NC 27560