- Morrisville was named for Jeremiah Morris who donated three acres of land to the North Carolina Railroad in 1852 for a water station, woodshed, and other buildings in support of the railroad. The deed transaction is believed to be on November 30, 1852, which references Crabtree Creek.
- Jeremiah Morris established the first post office in March of 1852 and became the first postmaster of Morrisville.
- Stockholder meetings were held as early as the spring and summer of 1853. These included area landowners Morris, Adolphus Jones, and Giles Allison.
- Wake County’s second railroad, the North Carolina Railroad from Goldsboro to Charlotte, was completed in 1856. This railroad fostered several communities (Cary, Morrisville, Garner, and Auburn) along its line. Morrisville is the oldest of these communities, which established a railroad stop in the early 1850s. However, the Town was not chartered until 1875.
- In 1859, County justices made Morrisville a polling place.
- On April 13, 1865, one of the last battles of the civil war took place in Morrisville.
- Morrisville Baptist Church was established in 1866.
- George Tonnoffski opened a liquor store and the Page family built the Morrisville Hotel before 1872.
- By the early 1870s, the Morrisville area supported at least six general stores, Baptist and Christian churches, a hotel, a steam sawmill, a cabinetmaker, a lawyer, and four physicians.
- Morrisville’s original charter was ratified on March 3, 1875.
- By 1880, the Town’s population was 165.
- Samuel Horne opened a knitting-mill in 1910.
- The citizens of Morrisville voted to repeal the charter, which was ratified on May 9, 1933.
- Morrisville was re-chartered on April 3, 1947.
- In 1976, Morrisville purchased the Morrisville Christian Church building to be used as the first Town Hall.
- On May 12, 1986 the current Town Seal was adopted.
- Morrisville’s population in 1990 was 1,022.
- Morrisville’s population in 2004 was 11,915, as determined by a Special Census.
- Morrisville's 2010 Census population was 18,576.
- Morrisville's population in 2015 was 24,699 as determined by a Special Census.
Civil War Era
"The Federals finally pressed the Confederates to the small village of Morrisville Station. At the station a Confederate engine was trying to flee with dozens of cars filled with supplies and Confederate wounded taken from Pettigrew Hospital in Raleigh. Wheeler surveyed the situation and decided to make another attempt to stop the advancing enemy and buy time for the train to escape."
This is just a glimpse of the exciting story of "The Battle at Morrisville Station", written by local historian, Ernest Dollar. Visit his website to learn more about Morrisville's role in the Civil War.